Today I start my Food 4 Weeks eating plan. It is an adaptation on a number of well documented eating plans that are out there without cutting out major food groups but rather adjusting a few things. The purpose is to achieve fat loss (not necessarily weight loss however) with benefits on other measurables too.such as cholesterol, resting heart rate, fasting glucose and blood pressure. The food choices aim to be less inflammatory than unstructured eating and the meal plan encourages management of blood glucose and insulin control. It will hopefully also assist subjective factors such as energy levels and food related discomfort. The first two weeks will be a little stricter than the last 2 weeks but the principles are the same.
These guiding principles of the eating plan are as follows:
- 4 meals per day with an extended overnight fast
- high intake of nutrient dense foods, in particular fibrous, and good sources of phytonutrients, B vitamins, magnesium, sulfur and nitrates.
- high intake of omega 3 containing foods and supplementation
- moderate dairy intake
- limited and well timed intake of energy dense carbohydrate foods
- plenty of water or low calorie fluid
Exercise is as important as the controlled eating and will be a daily routine of at least 40 minutes, plus a light session or brisk walk before breakfast. This is not a fad diet, just sensible eating. After 3-4 months of excess and very little exercise after the end of last rugby season the timing is just right. The eating plan will promote healthful foods, while limiting the less beneficial and avoiding the rest. The most difficult part of it all I feel will be the adjustment in energy dense carbohydrate foods. I usually have far too much pasta and bread but I have thought up some interesting and tasty alternatives. I will still include these foods but ONLY directly before or after exercise. Sugar intake will be minimal, restricted to a little in tea and some dark chocolate. All corn based fructose or sweeteners will be avoided. I will be posting some recipes as it goes along as well as updates on the progress so keep checking in.
This package is one I offer as a nutrition service and is available for anyone interested:
- body composition analysis (ultrasound body fat scan, circumferences and weight)
- dietary analysis
- blood pressure, cholesterol, fasting glucose and resting heart rate
- 2 week meal plan
End of week 2:
- follow up
- 2 week meal plan
End of week 4:
- body composition analysis
- blood pressure, cholesterol, fasting glucose, resting heart rate
- dietary recommendations
Get in touch with comments, questions or to get involved.