A mouthful as a title but with the deliciousness and nutritiousness to back it up. This salad is packed with healthful nutrients, taste and texture.
- high in fiber
- high in nitrates
- source of B vitamins
- source of iron
- source of unsaturated fat
- source of protein
2 cups purple crispy kale
500 g beetroot
2 cups rocket
100 g feta (goats cheese or Danish)
1/4 cup pumpkin and sunflower seeds
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 Tbsp water
- Preheat the oven to 180 and roast the beetroot for 45-60 minutes until cooked.
- Full your basin or a large bowl with water and peel the beetroot (this will give you stain-free fingers!).
- Meanwhile in a saucepan melt the butter over a medium heat and add the honey, sugar and water. Let the sugar mixture caramelize to a light brown colour and remove from the heat.
- Spread your seeds over a sheet of baking paper and pour over your caramel mixture to cover. Pop this in the fridge.
- Finely chop the kale to form the base of your salad.
- Chop your beetroot into chunks and layer on top of the kale.
- Crumble the feta over the beetroot for a great looking contrast in colour.
- Top with rocket
- Once the caramel seeds have hardened chop and sprinkle over, ready to serve.
I got all my ingredients (except for the seeds) from Gogo’s Deli in Claremont.
You know it is fresh when the ladybirds come to play…